Friday, June 19, 2020

The Twin Trees: Chapter 4

Chapter 4:  A New Beginning 

… and that was about what happened up until this point. I made some friends, received a scholarship from the academy, and now I am twenty five. 

“Ean what are you doing?”, I asked.   
“I am climbing a very tall tree! I am so high! I can’t say the same for the hot head down there!”says Ean, another boy my age with brown hair and emerald green eyes, who was currently slinking his way up a tree next to the path outside of our village.   

“My name is Iken (I-ken) and I am not a hot head!!!!” says a boy sitting on a log near me. Iken has black hair, red eyes, and angled eyebrows that always make him look angry even when he’s not. 

“You are just proving my point,” replies Ean.  Iken growls back. 

“You boys should stop playing around and get ready to go exploring!” says a nearby woman.  

“Natasha! We all thought you were sick,” says Ean, saying what we were all thinking. 

“One, I faked it and two, the party leader, Dennis, wants to go on another expedition!” replies Natasha. We all think Natasha is very pretty with her blond hair, golden eyes, and a big smile.  

“But Tomis still has to get here!” I exclaim.

“We go anyway,” Natasha says impatiently.  

“Wait, I am here. Sorry for being late!” as Tomis comes running toward us.  Tomis a redhead with blue eyes. He is late for nearly everything.  Although I forgive him because he is my stepbrother.  

“Hi Tomis!” the boys shout.   

“Uuuuuhhh. Finally!” Natasha rolls her eyes.   

“Stepbrother! Good to see you!” I say.  

“Tony, what are you doing here so early? Ha ha!” says Tomis.  

“I was just telling everyone about my interesting childhood!” 

Natasha cut us off.  “Now boys, suit up, get your chainmail on and gather your weapons.” 

“That is right men. Let’s go!”, yells Dennis. Dennis is the leader of our team.  He is bald and is dressed as a pirate. We are trying not to laugh at his outfit.  Four minutes later, we are suited up and running through fields. 

Tomis stops suddenly in front of me and takes out his telescope.   

“Tomis what do you see?” I ask.  Everyone stops to look in the direction Tomis is facing.  

“Mmmh. I see a giant worm with teeth in the distance moving toward the village!”  

Dennis yells, “This is very bad. Tony since you run the fastest, run back to the village and get the Mayor!” 

I ran as fast as I could to the town hall calling loudly for the Mayor. 

The Mayor looked annoyed. “Tony, please stop shouting and wait to talk.  I am having…”

“There is a giant worm coming to crush the village!” I interrupted.

 “Are you sure?” 

“I am as sure as if there is a titan attacking!”

“Good enough for me, ring the alarm bells!” Security runs to sound the alarm.  

Seconds later the bells ring loudy “Ding ding ding ding!” 

I am trying not to panic.  Why is this thing here?  It’s going for the well.  It must want our water.  What do I do?  I have a big sword, a revolver, a rope, and a shield. Everyone is shooting their revolvers.  It is not doing much good.  The worm’s skin is very thick.   But if I get on the roof and get people to do it with me, we can rope the monster down! 

I spot Iken, Tomis, Natasha, and Ean as they run towards me.  

“Hey guys, we can use our ropes from the roof to capture the worm!” 

“Okay don't have to say it twice!” Ean exclaims. "I will go make sure the villagers stay safe and out of the way," yells Natasha.

“I am your commander and I say no!” yells Dennis as he catches up to us.  Dennis doesn’t like to do anything that isn’t his idea.  

“We are going to save the town whether you like it or not.” 

“I SAID NO!!!” yells Dennis angrily.  

Ean says, “We have no time for this,” and shoots Dennis in the leg. (Don’t worry, it’s just a flesh wound, but enough to keep him out of our way.)

“Dude, brutal!” says Iken.  

“I’m a fluid, not a solid. It means we can follow orders or flow around them if they are stupid. Stay put or I’ll shoot you in the arm too! Let’s go save our village.” 

The worm was getting closer and closer to the well.  We ran up to the roof of the town hall.  “When I give the word, throw your lasso. 3, 2, 1, throw!” The worm was caught in our trap.  Natasha ran over with other villagers to help us tie it down.  

There were villagers who brought out their knives.  They wanted to kill the worm.  I told them to stop and asked them for mercy for the creature.  I made them see that the worm was just wanting our water.  Because the Empire and Union had not taken any action to make our world better, unhappiness and drought were forcing innocent creatures from their homes to find food and water.  My friends and I got buckets of water and fed the worm.  It could not harm us because it was tied down.  After we gave it the first bucket of water, it retracted its teeth knowing that we were trying to help it.  After many buckets of water, it burped and wiggled and let us know it wanted to leave.  The rest of the villagers ran inside their homes as we untied the worm because they were still afraid.  The villagers watched from their windows as the worm slowly moved out of the village.  As it left, it gathered speed and then circled the village once, then burrowed down into the ground.  We realized that it had made a giant moat of protection using its body with dirt around the village to say thank you for our kindness.  When the worm was gone, the five of us (not Dennis) were congratulated and were promoted as one warrior team. I was made the leader (even though I denied it for 3 days, but it is okay). Dennis was taken to the recovery house to heal and is now scared of Ean.


1 comment: