Sunday, May 24, 2020

The Twin Trees: Chapter 1

Chapter 1: 15 Years Ago

Fifteen years ago I, Tony Glazer, lived with my Dad, Tom Glazer. We lived in the Empire. I was 10 years old back then. Our town was in a food and financial crisis. Food and jobs were scarce.  The same was true for our two cousins who lived in the Union. To fix the crisis, the Empire and Union leaders both said that they would find the “Full Moon Tree” as the children called it which legend said granted wishes. But back then, the Full Moon Tree was just a story.  We did not know if we could believe them. My father and I snuck into the Emperor’s castle and found out something very, very bad. The same thing happened in the Union. This is what happened.

“Hey Dad, what are we doing sneaking into the castle?”, I asked as we stood in a dark spot by the castle wall next to the lake.   

“We are trying to find out if they are telling the truth son. But we need to be very quiet.”, he replied.  

“What will Mom think?”, I asked, worried.  

“We will tell her when we get home.”, he said quietly.  “Son, I need you to put your climbing skills to use and climb up to that window and look for all the guard locations.”, he whispered.  

“Dad, what if they spot me?”, I asked.  I was suddenly very nervous.  

“That's why you are wearing a dark black suit.”, he said, trying to make me calm.  I climbed the tower.  I watched through the window for a few minutes.  I then climbed around to see the other side of the tower and then climbed back down to my Dad.

  “Dad, I think I know all the guard locations and I found a quick way to the discussion room!”

“Quiet down we need to be stealthy! Also show me this quick path you discovered.”  I lead him around to the far side of the tower.  

“Son, why are we at the collapsed side of the castle?”

“Dad, we can climb this right to the other window of the discussion room where we will not be seen.”  I set off climbing again with my Dad behind me.  “Okay we are here Dad.” I went to climb into the window.

“Son, get down!” 

“Dad, why did you push me into the ground?” 

“We need to not be seen and we need to listen. Listen they are talking.” 

“Okay Dad,” I sighed. 

“Silence please son,” he whispered. 

We crouched below the window and listened with a few peeks over the ledge. This is what we heard. 

“ ...ord why are we lying to our people? You know we just want it for ourselves. Lord why…”

 “SILENCE! I do what I want, whenever I want, wherever I want!”, a commanding and  menacing voice shouted.    

“But My Liege!” 

The menacing voice responded more quietly this time. “No we will keep on lying, we do not want a riot!  What do you think about this, my generals and commanders?”
Another voice replied, “We think you've won this conversation this time, Emperor. Hey, Is someone watching us?” 

“Son they’ve spotted us!  Run!” 

“Spies, kill them!,” the menacing voice screamed.  

“Dad, they are chasing us and we have nowhere to run!” 

“Son, jump into the lake.  It is the only way to escape!”  

“But you might die!” 

“Don’t think that son.  We must jump!”  He grabbed my shoulder.   

“ONE, TWO, THREE, JUMP!!!!!” 



1 comment:

  1. Hope they know how to swim......that is, if the fall doesn't kill them.

    ReplyDelete