Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Twin Trees: Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Forbidden Alliance

My Dad and I survived the fall. We both passed out when we hit the water. We floated fast downstream for many miles until we hit the shore.  Neither Dad nor I knew where we were then until my Dad saw his old friends. 

“Uuuuuuhhhhh”, I groaned as I woke up. 

“Son, wake up right now!”

“Wazit!”  I didn’t know what was going on. I stood up.  

“We need to find someplace safe. Wolves are around.” My Dad pushed me forward onto a path.  We ran for hours until we found a weird town with a sign and banner posted on the path.

“Dad, why is the name of the town called Forbidden Alliance?”I asked as I read the sigh. 

“I don’t know what this place is.”

“Ay thar young travelers, what brings you to theese parts?” said the voice of an old man that we finally noticed was standing silently on the side of the road behind the banner.  

“We need to go to our home in the Empire,” replied my Dad.  

“Oowa you don’t want to go back theere. It is told that no one can get in for free. In other words you need to pay them 100 coins. Might as weell stay for now.”

“Okay. thank you,“ 

“Town hall meeting!  Town hall meeting!” someone shouted. 

“Okay son let’s see whats up.” 

We arrived at the meeting hall.  The Mayor was speaking.   

“This town hall is to inform the public that the Union is spreading lies about the Wishing Tree. They are just doing it for profit. We have proof from the Mill family that arrived here yesterday.  We will seek help from the Empire.” 

“Dad, you are friends with the Mills right?”

“Yes son. I need to do something, so stay here.” Then my Dad spoke to the people.   “Everyone I am Tom Glazer.  I just arrived an hour ago and the Empire spreading liesfor profit too. They cannot be trusted.”

“Tom Glazer, was it?  How do you know this?” asked the Mayor.  

“M-m-m My son and I snuck up to the top of the Emperor’s castle to find out if the Empire was truly helping us. We listened and found out they were lying.  The Emperor and Generals noticed us and we jumped into the river. We ended up about ten miles from here.” 

“Well Mr Tom we will have a discussion now. Also town hall meeting over.”  The Mayor sent the people away confused and disappointed.   

“Son meet me back here at 6 o’clock okay?” and he walked away to meet with Mayor in private.   

“Okay Dad,” I replied.   “Might as well look at some stuff,” I thought to myself.  

 “Heere kid, do you know about the story of the twin trees?” asked the old man that we saw when we entered the town. “It may help you.” 

“No, what is it?”  He told me the legend that you, The Reader, read in the Prologue.  If you forgot it, please go back and reread it now! 

“That is the story anyways. You need to go to your Dad now. It has been long enough.”

“Okay stranger. Thank you.” I went to go find my Dad in front of the meeting hall.  

“Hey son, the Mayor told me that we are in a forbidden alliance village, called Adventurer’s Haven.  It is a broken piece of the Empire and Union. It is a safe place for us to stay for now.” 

“Dad, I now know the twin tree story. The old stranger told it to me” 

“Son, for some reason it strikes a something in my mind.  Can you tell me it? But first we need to find a place to stay.”




1 comment:

  1. I am glad that Tom and Tony not only survived the fall but both apparently know how to swim!

    ReplyDelete